Go on, Be Bold, Create!

"You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have." - Maya Angelou

I love the simple truth of this quote. Go on, read it again and then breathe in and breathe out.

We seem to have gotten to a place in our society where even small children, by the age of six or seven, have absorbed beliefs about what they are "good at" and what they are "bad at". And as for us adults, well my guess is that for many of you the words; "draw me a picture", "sing me a song", or "get up and dance" are some of the most frightening phrases you could imagine hearing.
So, here's a newsflash for us all:
Creative expression is not about being an expert! It's not about getting it right, being the best, being a professional or making it your life's work.
Creative expression is about being in your body, releasing tension, being completely yourself, allowing something unexpected to appear or happen, having fun and being absolutely, completely in the present moment.
There's something else here too. Know that spreading your wings and trying forms of creative expression that are out of your comfort zone can be very therapeutic.
I love expressing myself through the written word and this comes quite naturally for me. However, I also love singing, dancing, baking and getting things organised because I've noticed how all these different activities bring me pleasure and release in very different ways.
We can all play with creative expression and enjoy the benefits.
Make sure you have some basic tools close at hand like music, paper, crayons or coloured pencils. Then just follow your daily creative urges and allow the process of being caught up in a moment of creation be far more important than the end result.
Be three years old again! Can you remember how that felt?


Go on, Be Bold, Create! Go on, Be Bold, Create! Reviewed by Ann on 04:01 Rating: 5

No comments:

Ads

Powered by Blogger.